- This event has passed.
LARGE AND LIGHT (Brooch making with alternative material)
November 24, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - November 28, 2019 @ 9:00 pmEGP4,000
In this five-day workshop, students will make one brooch using alternative materials (non-metal) with the concept of being large in size and light in weight. The brooch is historically the piece of jewelry which is most easily manipulated- it is not worn to size on such as a ring on the finger, or concerned with the weight of an earring, or needed to fit around the neck in the form of a necklace. Form, scale, and materials are therefore more open-ended in the potentials of what a brooch may be. Students will begin with a rock as the mold to form the brooch around, thinking of the jewelry piece as the skin to create a large, hollow for
- Introduction to project and brief presentation on a selection of art jewelry brooches in the last 3-4 decades.
- Each student begins with a rock wrapped in cling-film as the form to create the brooch around.
- 10 sketches of the rock, overlaying pattern, color etc. to the drawings.
- Begin material exploration- what gives a large hollow form structure besides metal? (resins, polymers, glues, mixed with other materials.
- Decide on one combination of material and structure to proceed with to make a piece.
- Make a minimum of 3 try-outs with the materials each student selected
- Begin/ continue working on the brooch around the rock to setting
- Rachel presents options for creating a brooch fastening on a piece which is neither metal or small in size.
- Discuss individually options for the brooch fastening
- Continue/ finish working on the brooches around the rock
- Remove the outer layer from the rock, you now have your large, hollow brooch
- Begin making brooch fastening
- Finish brooch fastenings
- Have discussion on outcomes and brief presentation of the work
Dates: November 24 – November 28, 2019
Duration: 5 days
Time: 6 PM – 9 PM
Fees for Egyptians: LE 4,000 Fees for Non-Egyptians: USD 320
*fees exclude bank transfer charges
Registration deadline: 19 November, 2019
Cancellation policy: In order to confirm your place in our courses, full payment is required before the start of any course. In case of cancellation and refund, please read the below policies:
If cancelled 10 days before the course start date, 70% will be refunded from payment.
If cancelled 7 days before the course start date, 30% will be refunded from payment.
If cancelled less than one week, 100% will be nonrefundable.
All requests for cancellation are requested to be made through email at firstname.lastname@example.org then you will be contacted to move forward with remaining processes.
These policies are made to ensure that each person gets the equal opportunity to attend our courses. We highly appreciate your understanding.